CHICAGO — Northwestern volleyball (10-2, 0-0 Big Ten) ended its nonconference slate in tremendous fashion, topping both DePaul (3-0) and Loyola (3-1) to earn the Chicago Cup.
The Wildcats start their Big Ten schedule next weekend in the Hoosier State. NU will play Indiana (Sept. 21) and Purdue (Sept. 22).
NORTHWESTERN 3, LOYOLA 1 (19-25, 25-12, 29-17, 25-18)
- Northwestern improved to 20-4 all-time against Loyola … The Wildcats have won five-straight against the Ramblers.
- The Wildcats wrapped up the nonconference slate with a 10-2 record, matching their output from the 2017 season.
- NU amassed a .290 hitting percentage in the match, compared to Loyola’s .183 clip.
- Nia Robinson set a season high with 23 kills … She ended the match with a .333 hitting percentage, tied for the team lead (min. 10 TAs).
- Britt Bommer obliterated her career high in assists, compiling 51 helpers.
- Hanna Lesiak set a career high with 13 kills … Her .333 hitting percentage was tied with Robinson for the best NU output in the contest … She also had 13 digs, notching her first-career double-double.
- Olivia Viscuso set a career high with three service aces.
- S1 | Despite Nia Robinson‘s six kills, Northwestern dropped the match opener, 25-19.
- S2 | Northwestern hit at a blistering, .364 clip to down Loyola in dominating fashion, 25-12 … Ella Grbac had four kills on five swings.
- S3 | Nia Robinson had an extraordinary set, posting a team-best nine kills … The ‘Cats topped the Ramblers, 29-27.
- S4 | Nia Robinson again led the ‘Cats in kills, notching seven kills en route to an NU .370 hitting percentage and a 25-18 set win.
NORTHWESTERN 3, DePAUL 0 (25-22, 25-20, 25-18)
- Northwestern improved to 18-7-1 all-time over DePaul.
- The Wildcats have won 15-straight matches over the Blue Demons, a streak that dates back to November 7, 1980.
- Nia Robinson was tied for the Wildcat lead with 13 kills … She has amassed double-digit kills in all 11 of Northwestern’s matches this season … Robinson counted 12 digs, marking her first-career double-double.
- Alana Walker had a career-high with 13 kills, tying for the team lead in the contest … She also led the ‘Cat stat sheet with her .650 hitting percentage, collecting her 13 kills on 20 swings with no errors.
- Danyelle Williams and Olivia Viscuso tied for the team lead with five blocks.
- Britt Bommer paced the ‘Cats with 30 assists, while Michelle Lee was the team leader in digs, notching 15 saves.
- S1 | The Wildcats limited the Blue Demons to a .128 hitting percentage and Nia Robinson paced the ‘Cats with five kills as NU won, 25-22.
- S2 | Alana Walker had four kills on eight swings — with no errors — and helped lead the ‘Cats to a 25-20 downing of the Blue Demons … NU limited DePaul to a -.086 hitting percentage in the second set.
- S3 | Northwestern put together their best single-set hitting percentage of the match, led by a combined 10 kills by Alana Walker and Nia Robinson … NU won the set, 25-18.
Be the first to know what’s going on with the ‘Cats — Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, check us out on Instagram, visit our Social Media page and download our mobile app from the Apple Store and Google Play! To get involved with the #B1GCats, become a season-ticket holder or join the Wildcat Fund!