EAST LANSING, Mich. —No. 13 Northwestern ran its Big Ten record to 7-0 by earning a 4-3 win at Michigan State Saturday afternoon.
The victory sets up a showdown between the Wildcats and fellow Big Ten unbeaten Michigan Sunday in Ann Arbor.
NU (14-4, 7-0 B1G) took the doubles point before winning the first three singles matches that finished. The ‘Cats were victorious in doubles thanks to a 6-2 win by the fourth-ranked duo of Maddie Lipp and Erin Larner at No. 1 and a 6-4 triumph by the duo of Rheeya Doshi and Julie Byrne at No. 3.
In singles play, 70th-ranked Lipp rolled to a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Emily Metcalf at No. 3 to make it 2-0. At No. 1, 49th-ranked Larner continued to be dominant as she surrendered only two games in rolling past Aslina Chua 6-0, 6-2.
The clincher came courtesy of Byrne who moved up to the No. 4 spot in the lineup and pulled away from Sara Kuuttila for a 7-6 (2), 6-2 victory.
Michigan State (13-6, 4-3 B1G) managed to pick up wins at Nos. 5, 6 and 2 to conclude the match but it wasn’t enough as Northwestern improved to 38-0 all-time against the Spartans and handed MSU its first home loss of the season.
Northwestern’s showdown with Michigan on Sunday is slated to get underway at 11 a.m. Central time.
#13 Northwestern 4, Michigan State 3
1. #4 Erin Larner/Maddie Lipp (NU) def. Emily Metcalf/Davina Nguyen (MSU) 6-2
2. Habiba Shaker/Sara Kuuttila (MSU) vs. #28 Lee Or/Alex Chatt (NU) 5-3, unfinished
3. Rheeya Doshi/Julie Byrne (NU) def. Ava Thielman/Lexi Baylis (MSU) 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3*
1. #49 Erin Larner (NU) def. Aslina Chua (MSU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Habiba Shaker (MSU) def. #105 Lee Or (NU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
3. #70 Maddie Lipp (NU) def. Emily Metcalf (MSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Julie Byrne (NU) def. Sara Kuuttila (MSU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
5. Davina Nguyen (MSU) def. Inci Ogut (NU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Samantha Memije (MSU) def. Alex Chatt (NU) 7-6 (9-7), 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 1, 4*, 5, 6, 2
Be the first to know what’s going on with the ‘Cats — Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, check us out on Instagram, visit our Social Media page and download our mobile app from the Apple Store and Google Play! To get involved with the #B1GCats, become a season-ticket holder or join the Wildcat Fund!